- Do I need to move out while you restore my home after a fire or smoke damage?
- My ceilings are wet. What needs to be done?
- What is that smell?
Depending on the extent of the fire or smoke damage, this is ultimately your decision. Your insurance company may provide some guidance on this matter. Some things you may want to consider are safety concerns, odours, electricity, and disruption as a result of the equipment, work and noise that may be necessary to complete the restoration process in your home. If vacating your premises during the process, consider forwarding your mail to your temporary residence; stopping your newspaper and other deliveries; notifying your utility company, cable company, etc., of the temporary suspension of services during the restoration process.
ServiceMaster Restore’s water damage specialists will evaluate moisture content in your ceiling areas to determine the severity of the damage. They may also have to remove some of your ceiling for ventilation purposes. Wet insulation inside the ceiling can also be a hazard and therefore may also need to be removed.
Usually, if it smells like mould, it is mould. Mould or mildew odours are due to the presence of fungi in the air, inside pipes or walls, or hidden in other parts of your commercial property. Mould is thicker than mildew, so if the smell is particularly strong, that’s a clue that it’s mould and you need to act fast to prevent further growth.